Tuesday, 4 May 2010

(Thank goodness for the) Meditative benefits of ballet

Tomorrow's a big day for me, not ballet wise, but I have a job interview that means a lot to me. It's for the place where I already work, so there's a lot at stake, and there are no certainties as there are 2 internal candidates for 1 post and they're interviewing 5 people (not to mention it starts at 9am and doesn't finish until 4pm). To put it bluntly, it's really very stressful, and a horrible situation to be in.

I was going to forgo my ballet class this evening in favour of preparation for said interview (I have been preparing most of the weekend) but I am so glad I didn't. Two hours of technique work later and I feel so much better than I could have imagined; cleansed, more balanced and everything in perspective where it wasn't before. I worked so hard today, there was no brain space to think about ANYTHING but turning out/pulling up/lengthening. Even if I do say so myself, I actually did really well today. I picked up all the combinations, and responded well to some general corrections; I felt focused and empowered to be able to change and I could feel the difference in my dancing.

Although not exactly meditation, I can't imagine an hour of meditation could have been more useful to my state of mind (or my technique). The only thing left then, is to hope that this new focus and confidence lasts me through tomorrow and the interview day! Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Sadly, I didn't get it. Small consolation in that in my feedback I was told I was a close 2nd. I knew I would be gutted, but I was ok when they told me, it's only now, the day after that I'm feeling a bit wallowy!

    I'm giving myself a few, essential, hours, to mourn (apologies for the hyperbole, but it sort of feels like that) the job that I've lost, then I'm getting right back out there and full steam ahead with applications for everything else!

    (thanks for asking though x)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw. :( dancing cures most blues for me. hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out my latest post! It all worked out for the best :-) Hooray!

    ReplyDelete