Tuesday, 17 August 2010

My "Cinderella" moment

In a week when I both saw English National Ballet's 60th anniversary production of Cinderella and went to the most opulent wedding I've ever been to, this post seemed a pretty apt reflection of my thoughts about these.

Like many little girls, I dreamed of being a princess as I was growing up. Whilst clearly those particular dreams will never come true, I think that for the sake of our inner little girl, it's fun to embrace those dreams of becoming a princess for a night, just like Cinderella! In both the ballet and the fairy tale, Cinderella gets to go to a ball and dance the night away. ENB's ballet perfectly captured the romance of the 'ball' in the gorgeous romantic, midnight blue dresses worn by the corps in the ball scenes; the sweeping, timeless elegance and poise of their flawless waltz. It was these images that will remain with me, and probably every little girl (whatever her age) who watched the ballet that evening.

So imagine my utter delight when, the following evening, I got to have my very own Cinderella moment in my very own navy romantic tulle dress. Ok, I haven't been condemned to sweep the kitchen for ever, and I certainly don't have horrid step-sisters (quite the opposite), but for just a few hours I got to feel just a little of what Cinderella must have felt, when I attended a decadent (yet beautiful) wedding in the ballroom of an exclusive London hotel!

Incidentally, I've owned the dress for nearly 2 years, and it's the first time I have worn it, but it was definitely worth the wait: the way it moved made me feel just like a princess!


( Yes, those are ballet shoes, died to match my dress, after the 5 inch heels I was wearing (just seen, in my left hand) had done their worst. But, unlike Cinderella, I didn't lose one on the way home!)

6 comments:

  1. hello! :) that was really sweet :) yep every girl def. dreams of being a princess... i wish i could have watched the Ballet performance from how you described it , it sounds like it was amazing :)

    U have a nice way of writing and expressing urself its fun to read :) thanks for sharing! :)

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute dress AND shoes-
    nice to 'meet' you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this post of yours ! And the dress of course !

    When you get a minute, please could you update your blogroll ? Would hate for people to think I never update any more.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Angel, Ren and Elise - I had magical evening(s) and pleased you enjoyed reading about them!

    Elise, I've updated my blogroll, I think. I'll keep an eye on it but it should be up-to-date now, thanks for prompting me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mrs B. If it helps to fulfill the full and proper Cinderella story next time you can by all means spend more time in the kitchen cooking and cleaning... On the night you looked beautiful, and the dress swirled perfectly when you were dancing, which is more than can be said for me and my tux.

    And you missed any Mr B comments from the Cinderella performance at the Coliseum (these are my personal favourite parts of your blog posts). Was that because I fell asleep twice this time?

    ReplyDelete