Friday, 21 January 2011

Black Swan

Not really a review, more a sigh of relief...

Thank goodness that's over: I haven't had such a visceral reaction to a film since nearly hyperventilating and sobbing at Crash about 5 years ago.

I had known it was going to be a psychological thriller, but hiding behind my hands and biting my thumbnail down to the quick, I hadn't counted on it being quite so gory or scary. In fact, for me, the psychodrama of it was a little overplayed and cliched: Nina is such a caricature of herself that the bits that should have had me guessing didn't; it didn't come as any surprise that they were, ultimately, psychotic, imagined episodes. No; whilst disturbing, I didn't find it cleverly disturbing, just horrific!

I'm not even going to go into the dance aspects of it, as it's not the ballet that left an impression on me. The parallels to Swan Lake were clever, and in terms of the cinematic impact and film, it was doubtlessly impressive, but I hated the one dimensional characterisation - especially that of Nina and her abhorrent mother. In fact the only character I actually liked was Lilly, and I think I was supposed to hate her!

Now I'm going to go and watch something that doesn't make me feel like I've been thumped in the solar plexus. Or perhaps I'll just practise my tendues (or maybe not, just for tonight!)

2 comments:

  1. hey there~
    wow so the movie is scary my cousin wasnt wrong then I havent watched it tho but was planning to now that you've said this and also my cousin I wont watch it :) thanks for the review tho :)
    hope u keep enjoying dancing! :) cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having said all of that, I spoke to my sister today, and she said that despite the gore and the psychotic episodes, she thought the ballet dancing bits were beautiful.

    She's not a dancer, so perhaps that helped her to engage a little more with that aspect: I still can't remember the dance in the film!

    ReplyDelete