Thursday, 6 January 2011

Choreography

As you'll know if you've read my previous posts, I'm working my way towards my teaching qualifications in ballet. As part of this course, I get homework from time to time: this week's homework is to start thinking about the choreography for 2 short and simple dances (one for preparatory grade - usually around age 6, and one for grade 2/3 standard). My teacher has suggested that as preparation I make table of all the steps that fall into these grades to help me fit them to music as a dance.

This is a totally new pastime for me; some people create breathtaking dances with every step they take in a dance studio, but whether it's lack of confidence or simply lack of experience in doing so, it feels like an alien process to me. I listen to music all the time, and I generally make a judgement on whether I like it or not by whether I feel I could dance it, but to formally choreograph a dance: that terrifies me!

So, dear dancing readers, you may well be lucky enough for this to be second nature to you as a dancer, but If you have any friendly tips for a beginning (terrified) choreographer, please share them!


Image: Benesh Notation - a way of recording choreography (I'm not this advanced yet!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment