Tuesday, 12 April 2011

My new hat (and a crazy weekend)

Apologies for my lack of posting recently, it isn't through lack of ballet or other exciting events, simply that I've been so busy I haven't had time to write. Not strictly ballet, but I wanted to share with you a picture of my first ever hat (beany hats excluded.)
My new hat - I feel very grown up!
I've never had to own a hat before, but since marrying it's now the expected thing to wear whenever I attend a synagogue service with my [jewish] husband - and this weekend was his cousin's bar mitzvah; a pretty big deal in the Jewish world. Since I am not Jewish, this is all new to me, but I have to admit to being quite excited by the purchase, and to being delighted when I found the perfect 1930s-40s inspired hat to go with my little white dog-print tea dress. It's remarkable how different one item of clothing can make you feel, and it made me feel ultimately feminine and demure: I loved it! By some happy twist of fate I also already owned a pair of shoes in the same colour with matching bows, so I really felt the part despite the absolute manic nature of the rest of the weekend.

The rest of the weekend was spent in a blur of partying and traveling between London and the midlands as I had, crazily, arranged my final graded ballet exam for Sunday morning. Since I've now been waiting for a while to take this, there was no way I wanted to wait any longer so it just had to be done. But, by 1am on Monday morning, after the bar mitzvah/lunch on Saturday and a train journey back north on Saturday evening ready for my exam on Sunday, and then a train back to London for the black tie Bar-mitzvah party on Sunday evening, I was well and truly exhausted.

On a positive note, it really is amazing the difference in how I feel about dancing now to a year ago. I didn't have a great deal of time to work myself into a 'tizz' about my exam and instead, just went in and danced. I made a few mistakes but smiled and presented myself well. I am certain I have passed, and although I don't know how well, I am more relaxed about how I did than this time last year - I didn't even panic at the enchainement, I simply did it. Hopefully my love of ballet will have shone through. I will update as soon as I know the results!


2 comments:

  1. Love your hat! And your dress. And congrats on the exam - sounds like it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,

    I realised that you were following my blogspot, so I decided to check yours out. Sorry I haven't done so sooner, cus' it's really great!

    Hey, if you would like to check out my Google Buzz, simply Google the following:

    Izi (awesome) Google Profiles

    It's the first one that comes up. Hope to see you there. You know, there is URL for my Buzz, but it's so long and complcated, that it's just not worth it.

    See ya!

    Izi :)

    ReplyDelete