Thursday, 29 December 2011

New Beginnings & hope

With the dawn of 2012 rapidly approaching, and a request from my lovely friend Katie to keep her amused whilst she's in sunny Benidorm, what better time than now to blog about fresh starts and new beginnings

I think it's safe to say that 2012 hasn't been my finest year. In fact, I did remark to a friend in November that it has, possibly, been the worst year of my life, but that I had high hopes for 2012. At the time, it was a passing comment, but ironically, minutes after saying this, I found myself in the audience of a play called 'void story' by a company called Forced Entertainment. I say ironically because the play basically took two characters and put them through the worst possible chain of events: it was *so* dreadful it was hilarious (that was kind of the point...) At the end of the play, my friend turned to me wryly and remarked:,'so, you were saying, this year was the worst of your life...?' I honestly can't say I've ever been shot in the stomach by intruders, bitten by giant poisonous insects, or been forced to dance in a never ending dance competition until I can no longer stand before being exterminated by a bomb dropped by a passing drone place, so, by comparison, it's really not been that bad. But, that doesn't mean I don't look forward to the promise of a new year, especially after the difficulties of 2012.

A new year is the perfect time to consider the past and make resolutions for the future. I once made a resolution to learn to ski, but within days of me uttering these words, Natasha Richardson died in a skiing accident and my sister's colleague paralysed himself on the slopes; suddenly it didn't seem like such a good idea. So since then, I've tried not to make too many 'solid' resolutions. People are always talking about having smart targets, but I think I prefer something altogether more wooly; the possibility of what *could* be as opposed to the possibility of falling at the first hurdle.

Someone clever once said "Imagine what you would do if you could not fail. Now go and do it" - I think that's the best thing about new starts. No one expects anything of you. If you want to reinvent yourself and wear new clothes, or adopt a new way of speaking, it's all allowed. The more shocking and exciting the better.

So, my question to you, readers, is this; not "what are your new year's resolutions?" but "what are your hopes for 2012?" - hope is so much more forgiving.
I began this post somewhat somewhat terrified by the weight of expectation, since Katie was expecting witty tales of new beginnings with (and I quote) "comedic interludes!" I'm not sure I've quite delivered what she expected, but I hope it kept you, dear reader, entertained for ooh, at least 5 minutes. And if I haven't, check out my blog roll on the right, there are numerous talented, witty and entertaining bloggers ready to be read! They will not disappoint, I promise!

1 comment:

  1. I hope to find employment which is enjoyable, useful, non-stressy, productive, and fits in with children at infant and pre-school. I'm not brave enough to 'resolve' to do it though. If such jobs exist, I suspect they aren't highly regarded. Theoretically, that shouldn't matter...

    ReplyDelete