Thursday, 5 January 2012

A new year's resolution (of sorts)

You may recall me saying that I wasn't going to make any new year's resolutions. Well, I wasn't, but... Famous last words and all that. At some point over the last few days I came across a newspaper article about a woman who gave up buying new clothes for an entire year and the seed of an idea began to root in my head.

I am going to give up shopping. Not essentials shopping, (toiletries, food, bills etc - oh how I wish that were possible) but clothes, bags and shoes shopping. I have enough of these things to last me at least until Easter, and even far beyond that point. Sometimes I think it's easy to think "oh, I must have that, it will make my life better," but I have so much 'stuff', and generally speaking, it doesn't make my life better. Sure, it's nice to wear a new dress or pair of shoes, and yes, they do make you feel good, but for the amount of money I've spent on new clothes and things in the last year, I don't think any of it has genuinely made me feel enormously better in the long run. New work clothes were an essential, but they're bought and I certainly don't need anything else for quite some time!

I'm not meaning to be pious and I really do *love* shopping as much as the next girl, but I am interested to see how I cope with this challenge. I have a couple of weddings and my 30th birthday party coming up before Easter so will I be able to do it? I don't know, but it's interesting to consider how I may have to shift my thinking. It could be really exciting, because already I'm considering how I could customise stuff I already own (with bits and bobs that I already own!) to make it feel like new. Maybe I'll post back here if anything goes dramatically well (or wrong.)

Have you ever given anything up? As a rule I hate the idea and think it makes you more likely to crave what you're depriving yourself, but there's also a part of me that loves the idea of meeting a challenge. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment